Henna Coloring & Caramel Natural Straightening technique?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
majestye
Henna Coloring & Caramel Natural Straightening technique?

Hi, I want to henna to - naturally cover my gray in the front of my hair line (they are like highlights through out, but very visible at the hairline, and to get the loosening effect on my natural curls.

Here's the recipe I have planned, and want to know if anything will hinder the dye uptake. (I'm basically combining a natural Caramel - hair straightening treatment with Henna coloring)  I would like the gray to look like highlights.  My natural hair is a dark brown/black color. 

After dye release I want to mix in before application, the following:

• 4 tablespoons of yogurt - help relax the curl
  • 2-4 drops of tea tree oil, and 2-4 drops of lavender oil - deodorize the henna scent
  • 6 tablespoons of Honey -  relax the curl
  • 2 tble spoons of EVOO and 2 tbspns of EVCO - moisturizing
  • 3 tblspns of molasses - relax the curl
  • 4 oz of banana - moisture
  • 1 tblspn ACV
  • 2 tblspns of Suave conditioner - moisturizing
  • 4-6 tblspns of water as necessary

My questions are:

• will 100gs of Henna powder suffice?  I have shoulder length hair with about 1-2 inches of natural curly roots, the rest is relaxed texture.
  • Should I apply to wet hair or dry hair for the best gray coverage?
  • Will I need to combine Indigo or Cassia, Buxus with the henna?  I don't want orange gray hairs!  Golden brown or copper highlights are nice.  No red or burgundy!  Can I use straight henna or consider Ancient Sunrise - Cinnamon, will that work?
  • Does it make a difference what henna powder I use? Can I buy from a local Indian Grocer?

I plan to repeat the henna once every 4-6 weeks or so.  Any help you can provide would be great!

Thanks!

ACWN
Re: Henna Coloring & Caramel Natural Straightening technique?

You do know that henna really wont straighten your curl, right? Its very unlikely that it will. It will loosen it slightly, but not straighten.

I dont think 100 grams is enough. You need at least 200.

Damp hair, not wet.

Get a bundle with a higher dye content henna if you dont want orange. Infact if you want to cover your grays entirely, its best to do a high dye content henna like yemen or celebration for several hours, then rinse and apply indigo for an hour. You will get jet black.

Yes, it matters. Henna from your local grocer may or may not be body art quality henna, and it may or may not be stored properly so the dye may or may not be good.

You are going to seriously dilute the henna with all that extra stuff in it and you may or may not get any color on your grays with it that diluted. Thats a lot of stuff you really DONT need. Infact all you really need is a little ginger or cloves for scent and only a couple tablespoons of honey, thats it. The more simple the mix, the better.

majestye

Thanks!  I think I'll just try the Henna with Buxus - Ancient Sunrise Cinnamon.  And wait before I try the caramel treatment.  I really want to see how my hair reacts to the henna.  I'm thinking if I like it, there are a couple of people in my family that would do well with Henna & Indigo.

Jen

"You are going to seriously dilute the henna with all that extra stuff in it and you may or may not get any color on your grays with it that diluted. Thats a lot of stuff you really DONT need. Infact all you really need is a little ginger or cloves for scent and only a couple tablespoons of honey, thats it. The more simple the mix, the better."

I totally agree with this. You could just as well do a separate treatment later with all those hair loving goodies! Just don't try to shove it into your henna application when you have gray to tame!

majestye

Thanks!  I know it won't "straighten" it, but whatever help I can get, I'll take..with loosening the curl.  My main reason is the coloring.  I'm tired of temp dyes that run. 

Most of the other ingredients are for the Caramel natural "straightening."   I've been advised that I can follow the Henna treatment with the Caramel treatment.  But as you said, not to do them together.   So I will do that, or I may just try the caramel a few days before I henna.   

Thanks again... I'm ready to take the jump!

ACWN

The least amount of time I would wait is 24 hours to give your hair time to recoop and breathe. It probably wont hurt anything to do it all in the same day, but your hair may or may not enjoy it.