Celebration henna

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
vampkat
Celebration henna

I ordered some...so now.....how long for dye release?

ACWN
Re: Celebration henna

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the dye release for henna always has the same factors - it depends on temp its kept at and the liquid (and its temp) you use.

You probably know this, but just to share for those who are reading this that may not....

• Lemon: 8 - 12 hours, sometimes 24. Possibly higher. Some folks have reported getting good dye release 3 days later with lemon, though I believe it was for body art not hair. You can cut this time by a few hours if you use mostly water with a splash of lemon.

• Apple: 6 - 8 hours. You can probably get it at 4 or 5 hours if you keep it around 70 - 75 degrees. I think one gal reported getting dye release with apple in 3 hours by placing the henna in her laundry room, covered in several layers of towels. This was during the winter, so the towels may not be needed now.

• Tea (black, green, chamomile, zinger): 2 - 4 hours. I have personally gotten good, solid dye release in about an hour, hour and a half by keeping my henna at about 70 degrees.

There are other options, such as wine, yogurt, and vinegar.... the ones I mentioned are the ones I know best and seem to be most popular right now. Yogurt is good if your hair likes fats because its not only acidic for dye release, but also adds moisture to your hair. I think its dye release time is similar to lemon juice. 

And remember that if you cant use it right away after dye release, throw it in the fridge. Or better yet, freeze it if you can. Freezing causes the cells to burst and release even more dye, causing a more intese stain. But only freeze AFTER dye release. Carrie has experimented and found that freezing before hand with stronger acidic liquids that take longer (ie lemon) result in weaker dye stains. Pastes mixed with tea could be frozen before dye release and still get a more intense stain, but that is because it dye releases so quickly and probably dye release before they freeze. But its probably not recommended.

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)
henna dye release

using henna on the hair and on the body is a bit different, I would never mix my body art henna with vinegar- as it makes a gawd awful smelling mess

or yogurt-I can only imagine what this would look like LOL

LIquid type, time and temperature all do contribute to the dye release which is not nearly as crucial for hair use . For the body business you really want maximum dye release to have happened , with a good smelling mix.

ACWN
Re: henna dye release

Ah, yeah, forgot about that. Sorry!

Jen

I'm finding Celebration to be pretty darned quick. I used it after only 10 hours. 1 of those hours was on the stovetop while I was baking, so it got a little warm, but not hot.

So far its looking yummy even though the paste has only been off a few hours. I'll post pics later!

ladytetsu

mine seemed to go pretty quick,but I think I might have screwed up somewhere, probably let it sit too long or something. . . I have 2 kilos coming so I can verify what I mucked up in a few days.

Luna

I let mine sit overnight as usual, so 8 or 9 hours all told.  That's my hand on the Celebration page.  It's now day 11 and I had to scrub real hard to budge the stain on my forearm.  If I hadn't scrubbed, it would still be full stain.  Back of the hand is pretty much gone, but I had to scrub at that too.  Why did I scrub instead of just leave it?  I want it to go away so I can do more!!

vampkat

Good to know! I normally let mine sit for 24 hours on top of the fridge, so I'll definitely not let the celebration sit so long. Thanks so much for the info!

Jen

Ya, I usually let mine go as much as 48 when the house is cool, and I'm not putting it in a cozy place. That would definitely kill Celebration IMO.

lbug13

This new henna sounds great. Is it available at the Empire store or just online? I am very anxious to try it. Thanks!

CCartwrightJones
admin

Its online bulk at the shop here ... mehandi ... but I don't think we've sent boxes to Empire yet.

I would reccomend anyone who gets some do a few "road tests"  on Celebration before settling down to serious partying. 

Its my impression that its a fast dye release, it needs dextrose or fructose, and that it is at its best in places where henna usually whimps out.

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/celebration/celebrationluna7txt.jpg

Blurberrybuzz

I was letting mine go 24 hours in a cool house.  It's working great!

Blurberrybuzz

i'm just testing some that sat in the fridge after dye release for three days and was out at the park for 4 or 5 hours in 75F weather.

vampkat

I got my celebration in today. I am doing three test batches on top of my fridge. Rani oil, lemon juice, brown sugar at 75% house.

One for 8 hours

One for 13 hours

One for 24 hours.

I will report back with my results for those of you who use the same conditions I do. I will test all the stains at the same time so there's no time difference in stain development. I've already coned up the 8 hour batch. With the sugar it is SO smooth. Reminds me of jam/raj mix. <3

OK, so after letting the stains rest for a good 48 hours, the 24 hour batch is the darkest stain. The 8 and 13 look very similar, and are only SLIGHTLY darker, and only after the initial 24 hours of stain development could I tell. This is a VERY versatile stain release....LOVE it!

Maghreb Henna

Just out of curiosity, what is the origin of Celebration, i.e. is it Moroccan, Yemeni, Indian, etc?

CCartwrightJones
admin

It came from Abid and Co, but the lab tests show its COMPLETELY different from what I've gotten from them before. Seems like a different strain of henna (different scent and texture), different location (two of the assays show it was grown in a different environment) and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different lawsone content.  I was certain no two batches were the same, and the lab has snown every batch is different, but I had no idea just how different they could be.

Blurberrybuzz

Here's a link to the celebration henna on the back of my hand.  The cones were not fresh, but had been left to dye release for 24 hours then sat in the fridge for a few days and then were out in the park in the nice warm weather and just in a cooler all day.  I got an A2 on the palm of my hand and a b3 on the back of my hand.  In my experience, the henna paste is viable for quite a long time, even without really babysitting it.  I noticed that the henna paste feels a little slick and I get some sticky bits as well.  Not a clump exactly, but sort of.  Anyone else?

This is really a picture of the woad, but you can see the henna'd hand in it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blurberrybuzz/4630427167/

Victoria

vampkat

Where is celebration grown?

CCartwrightJones
admin

Its processed by Abid and Co, but the chemical profile from the lab is completely different from other Abid and Co. henna for the same year.  I can't be absolutely certain where the plants were grown, but it looks like they were near fields where tomatoes were ripening, and probably cotton, as well.

Every batch I've gotten from Abid and Co this year has been significantly different from others.  No two batches are the same.   Anybody who says everything processed under the same name is the same ........... hasn't seen the independent lab analysis!

You know how people always fuss, "I get lousy results from xxxxxxxxx" while another person says "I get great results from xxxxxxxxxxx"  and then they get off into a pouting war over recipes?  Well .... did anyone test the two batches of xxxxxxxxxxx to see if they had the same dye content?  If every batch has different dye content, and nobody has bothered to find out what those comparative dye contents actually are  .......  

That's the information black hole we've been falling into for years.  We didn't know the lawsone content. Now we know ... at least for the batches I've sent to the lab.

vampkat

It's so awesome of you to do that. See, I had that exact problem with the 09 jamila...I just didn't get as good results as I had with 07, so I bought up more 07 and just called it weird. lol. Maybe I got one of the lower lawsone boxes...who knows.

CCartwrightJones
admin

If every jug of milk had no label ........ how would you know if one was skim, one was 2%, one was 4% and one was cream?  The jugs look the same.  The sellers could say, "this is is COW MILK" and all our COW MILK is the same.  Can you taste the difference between skim milk and 4% fat milk?  Can you see the difference in results between 1% lawsone henna and 4% lawsone henna?  DUH?

IF you don't test, YOU DON"T KNOW.

I've gotten a huge amount of screaming about this, and I expect lots more.  The fact is, the exporters weren't testing, so we had no clue what we're getting.  Brand names tell us the quality of processing  (usually), but they don't tell us the quality of the raw materials that went into the processing. 

Now we have a clue.

If your seller isn't doing independent lab testing from now on ...... you don't know what you're buying. RLY.  The tests absolutely must be done with each batch on arrival, or you don't know what you're buying.

It is a seller's decision whether or not to test, and that's an expensive decision.  If you're a buyer, you'll have to decide whether or not that information is imprortant to you.

Aisha

wow thats great to see all this work and analizing done with the henna, makes me feel very assured and confident to buy my henna and indigo from you from now on. Thank you for all your hard work.

CCartwrightJones
admin

A 2008 Jamila sample came up 1.7% Lawsone ... and the leaf sample was only 1% lawsone.  Knowing that there's a lot of variation through the year means that other 2008 could have been lower or higher, but the one I did test was .... pretty mediocre. 

2009 .... wide range of test results from different batches.

I did just test some 2007 Jamila I found in the warehouse, and it came in at 2.15% Lawsone still in spring 2010.  I haven't been testing long enough to know how much things demise over years.

vampkat

Wow! Now I feel even more justified! LOL I thought I was just weird or crazy or doing it wrong.

CCartwrightJones
admin

Yes, the series of lab tests this year answers a whole lot of questions!

vampkat

So...weird result. Had my 24 hour celebration henna and it stained awesome on the back of my hand, considering it was only on for about 2 hours tops. So I did my palm night before last, and slept in it like I normally do...and it's only a cherry red. I don't know...but the ONLY differenc eis the cone I  used on the back of my hand had not been frozen yet....so maybe freezing it killed it? That will be a first. I'm gonna play with my various batches some...but I'm all confused. lol

jamilahhennacre...

When I mix henna I use the HC recipie... I add lemon juice, let it sit for 12 hours, stir, add EO and sugar and let it sit for 12 hours.  From what I've read here that would be too long with Celebration... is that correct?  CCJ, what are you reccomeding for mixing?

CCartwrightJones
admin

My best Celebration results so far have been:

thick lemon juice mix for 8 hours at 75F

terp for 6 hours

add enough dextrose to make it stringy

henna and seal with Sally Beauty supply Frozen Stiff.

That got me cast iron skillet black on my palms, coffee color on the back of my hands, and dark chocolate on my arm.

Granted, cones left on the table for a week are still giving kickass stain.

This is totally different than anything else I've ever seen from Abid and Co, and the lab tests bear that out.  Products from Abid and Co are NOT identical.  Not nohow.  People may pout and stamp, but the lab tests show that every batch is different.

vampkat

Have you frozen and thawed, then used it? If so please let me know your results. I'm still not getting super dark...and I don't know if celebration just doesn't like me or if freezing it after making it makes it stain less. For my coming up festival I'm gonna use purity unless I can figure this out, because I'd hate for some people to get killer stains and other to get not so great stains. I got another box ordered, so I'm gonna try your method and see if I get better results.

CCartwrightJones
admin

I think it did better without freezing ........ but one test isn't enough to be sure. 

Margie

I didn't think it liked me, either.  Then I froze it and got the best stain I've ever seen.  Actually, I froze it twice.  I put the bowl of henna in the freezer for 8 hours after dye release, thawed, thinned, coned and put the cones in the freezer.

Raj is the same way on me, but I never got a stain like this from frozen Raj.

jamilahhennacre...

I followed these mixing instructions and so far I've not seen anything special.... its just like regular Jamila to me so far. 

Blurberrybuzz

I've frozen and thawed it.  I thought it helped with the consistency.  I'm getting killer stains with this stuff.  I got a super dark cocoa color on the forearm that was still solid after a week and had been swimming.  I have a picture somewhere.  I was shocked at how dark and solid it still was.

Blurberrybuzz
Henna Trendz

ok..i'm confused here...

the 'celebration' henna is actually jamila? is it because it has a higher lawsone content, it has been named differently? so maybe itz just a 2009 batch jamila tht tested 3.4%? ..which would mean tht people who bought jamila 2009 MAY have celebration henna and not be aware of it!! :)),, i'm thinking this way bcoz as far as i know, abid and co. only export jamila BAQ and jamila for hair. they dont have any other brand name except for malika..

please clear my confusion! thanx..

mauiangel

what henna trendz said.

Please do tell :)

I'd like to order a new supply from you soon and this info might help me make up my mind.

Also, if this is actually a higher dye content extra super batch of Jamila is there a chance that next years crops will have consistent high dye content or varying dye content as BAQ Jamila often does?

Thanks for your time and info. Love this site! ~A~

Jen
  • "so maybe itz just a 2009 batch jamila tht tested 3.4%? ..which would mean tht people who bought jamila 2009 MAY have celebration henna and not be aware of it!! :)),"

I suppose there's a chance that there are other awesome batches out there with unusually high dye content. Unfortunately, you'd never know for sure unless you paid an independent lab to test it. However, no one accidentally has "Celebration" without knowing it. For one, Mehandi buys the WHOLE batch as is was processed together. The name "Celebration" is given to all of that batch and only that batch.

Once upon a time I ran my own web shop selling henna I imported myself. I did occasionally have customers who would insist that "my Jamila" was better than "so-and-so's Jamila" and I laughed it off. I had believed that Jamila was Jamila like Kraft dinner is always Kraft dinner no matter if it comes from Meijer or WalMart. However, being a science minded woman, I'm happy to change my mind when someone can show me hard evidence... Like a report from an independent lab. 

Now that I've tried celebration, I can also say from experience that it is special and different. It has a slightly different texture, it releases faster, and its WAY darker on the torso than any other henna I've ever met.

jamilahhennacre...

I don't know about all of the Celebration, but the one box I ordered is in fact a foil bag of Jamila in a celebration box.  I am assuming that what makes it special is that it was tested as a batch and proves to be 3.4%. 

bethlock

I'm doing a bit of dye release testing too.  Will report back.  What I have noticed so far is that it is reaching peak stain color a little later than usual.  Like around day 4 (I usually hit peak color around day 2.5).   Anyone else notice that?

-Beth

www.newworldhenna.com

vampkat

I tried the method Catherine used...and I still am getting less stain from celebration then I'm getting from purity. I don't get it. *pout*

Lemon juice, rani blend terp, brown sugar. Sit for 8 hours, terp, sit for 6 hours, cone. Still...purity is darker. I don't know why celebration hates me...it makes me sad.

ladytetsu

beth, I kinda noticed that myself, but I'm hormonal.

Vamp. . . hmmz.  Maye try 4 hours instead of 8?  I noticed my happy batches didn't seep as much orange onto my paper towel and test patches looked weak but then blossomed like crazy after a while. . .

kutie985

It took Celebration nearly 48 hours to get dye release for me.  I thought I killed it but it finally is staining my hand.  Still not as good as Raj or the Purity, but adequate.  I'm getting ready to cone some Celebration up and do my foot to see if location on my body is the issue.

jessinthedesert

I just got some Celebration...hmmm...maybe 3 weeks ago now. I am in a sometimes fairly humid climate (midwest, Wisconsin) but at the time of dye release it was pretty dry and not too hot. I did a few tests and the stuff that sat for 24 hours (terps and sugar included at the beginning using the KISS recipe) definitely came out darkest.

I froze some tubes and found that right after thawing they get a great stain. Not black, but seemingly long lasting. It shows sign of stain after moments (times when I've done something and then quick wiped it off). I have something on my inner arm just above my wrist that I applied on Saturday morning just after thawing- I spritzed my arm with lemon juice, applied the henna and just it dry and flake off after about 40 minutes- no lemon juice over the top. It turned a milk chocolate color and now it's Thursday afternoon and is just starting to show signs of fading in some spots- and that was only after 40 minutes on my skin. Sometimes I was testing for potency and put some on my hand for about 3 minutes and it would last for 3-4 days.  

I haven't done an extensive amount of testing but so far it seems best after just being thawed, although still gives a decent stain up until about 3 days after.

Jess

RainFaery

Just an fyi, I have been using full fat yogurt as my sole source of dye release for over a year now with the henna here and it works beautifully! I usually let it sit overnight and find that it is much easier to apply and to rinse out than dye released henna mixed with liquids.  It also leaves my curls and waves even more soft and bouncy than usual. :)

It might not work for everyone, but after trying the lemon juice, tea, wine, etc I have found this one to be my absolute favorite combo! Just wanted to share the love.