Sweating cones?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sarah
Sweating cones?

It seems that whenever I thaw a frozen cone, it somehow has water inside. Every time I squeeze a thawed cone, water droplets come out. It makes the henna very hard to apply, even though my fresh paste never has this problem. I store frozen henna in a ziploc bag, and I thaw it out of the bag in the fridge, then set it on the counter to reach room temp before trying to use it.

The water thing is causing a problem. Anyone know what I can do, besides never freezing my cones?

Cindy
Re: Sweating cones?

I just massage it, roll it around in my fingers and give it a few squishes before I start. That seems to help. Kind of mixes it back up. Try that. Hope it helps.

Cindy

CCartwrightJones
admin

A drop or two of water right at the tip is normal.  More than that?  Some hennas develop bad habits when frozen.  What one are you using?

Sarah

It's more than a drop or two; it makes the cone stop up sometimes. I'm not sure which one I'm using - whatever came in the free henna kit I got a while ago.

LemonSugarHenna

I don't freeze cones if i can help it for this reason. I try to only roll what I know I'll use in the time frame available & only freeze henna in carrot bags.

Sarah

Come to think of it, the henna I keep in carrot bags NEVER has the water dripping problem. Maybe there's something about the seam in the cones that makes any residual liquid get trapped? 

Samvit

I often freeze cones, and never have more than a drop or two of water at the tip, even if the cone has been partially used and the tip has been cut.  In the fridge, however, I get this problem if a cone is more than 5-6 days old.  That is why I throw them in the freezer even if they are almost used up.

Nene

Could be what your cones are made of. Maybe it is too thin. Try a different mylar or a rolling style that would give your cone more layers.

1stimestar

But water shouldn't be plugging up your cone.  If you are having that problem then it is probably crap in your paste.  I thaw my frozen cones at room temp.  I get a bit of condensation on the outside but not the inside. 

Sarah

Shouldn't be any crap in the paste. Jamilla henna (bought from Mehandi, sifted again just in case), sugar, lemon juice, laveder oil. Cones are always clean when I put the paste in. Couldn't tell you why this is happening, but it seems that the paste that sits in my fridge for too long does it too. I have some practice paste, never frozen, that's sat in the fridge for a few weeks and they're all clogged too - I can't work with any of them. I don't understand it.

Kere

Are you using bottled lemon juice or squishing your own lemons?  Maybe it's because bottled lemon juice frequently has added water to it or some way that the lemon juice is processed.  I get water bubbles inside my frozen cones whenever I use bottled juice (even when I get the kind that's "not from concentrate" and costs an arm and a leg) but I don't when I squish a lemon (or lime, I get good color with lime juice too.).

Chelsea

this happened to me today and it's like Samvit said, if it's a cone that's been in the fridge (not freezer) for a few days the paste gets runny/weird. I don't usually mean to leave it in the fridge, I get in this state where I'll want to henna, take it out of the freezer and then something else takes up my time and now I wonder, would it be better just to refreeze?

1stimestar

Ah I see.  Maybe dried up bits of paste clogging the tube?

jessinthedesert

speaking of 're-freezing', is that okay? I want to get full color potency and not have to mix new henna every time i have an event. Right now I do a Farmer's market every Saturday and never use a full cone...is it okay to refreeze a half-full cone and thaw and use ita gain a week later? Will the color still be good and last as long? This batch is Jamilla henna from the 2009 crop.

Also...sorry this is sort of a different topic, but for doing henna outdoors. does anyone know the best way to send people away with the henna and what instructions to give them? usually I tell them to wait until it dries to the touch, but not too dry that it cracks, and then apply lemon juice and sugar mix with a Q-tip, which I provide, leave it for at least 3 hours (the longer the better) and then allow it to flake off. The other option I've found when testing it myself is to keep it wet longer just with water, since it tends to dry in moments out in the Market sun.

Suggestions? I'll start a new thread with this question too so it doesn't get missed or too off of this topic. Thanks!

Chelsea

I know that many professionals DO NOT use re-frozen paste on paying customers for a few reasons. First, each time paste is thawed and re-frozen it's behavior changes a bit. This leads to the fact that your color may be okay for fun and practice, it might even be great but with a paying customer you want to be sure you've got your freshest paste possible or that it is frozen only once.

Sarah

No, it's definitely liquid. I checked the tips, cleared them just in case, and I still get reddish colored liquid from my cone instead of paste. It's like the paste "separates" or something. I have one cone that hasn't done that, but five other practice cones that have.

Mani

I have found that if there is too much sugar in the paste, it will cause separation problems.  Also, when I first started out I had problems with getting a lot of air pockets in my cones when I filled them.  It seemed like that would create a little condensation pocket while the cone was freezing, then when I would thaw it, I would have a runny tip like you described.  Try clipping a small tip in the cone, then kneading it for a while over a paper towel (to avoid some of the mess) to re-incorporate the liquid and force out any little air pockets that might be lurking. 

Malynda

I agree with Mani:  air pockets, sugar and condensation.  I use Sweet 'n Low and never have the separation problem.  Weird consistency can come from cone material, too.  I just bought some colored cellophane and was disappointed to discover that not only was the coloring superficial... it comes off in the paste (and stains my hand)... but the material itself is too thin and the terps begin to break it down at the cone tip after a few hours, making the cone clog, tape unstick and other general misbehavior.

Sarah

I clipped the tips some and mushed the cones a little. That seemed to work. So I suppose I'll have to do that every so often until all my junk paste gets used up, and I'll look into using Sweet 'n Lo. Do you use the same amounts when you mix it or do you have to adjust some for consistency?

Mani

When I use artificial sweetner, I use the same amount as when I use sugar.  It doesn't need to be name brand Sweet 'n Low, I use generic pink packets from the dollar store.