Trying Henna for the first time.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous (not verified)
Trying Henna for the first time.

I am trying Henna for the first time on my natural hair, and I purchased Premiere Qualite Henne by Jamila from Amazon.com. It is dated 1963; however a friend of mine purchased the same Henne date 2009. My question is does the date have an affect on how the dye will act on our hair .. My other question is .. I have chosen to use apple cider vinegar, and maybe honey and cinnamon .. but I am unsure of the color that it will turn my hair. I was told that real henna doesnt come in different colors it just  brings the natural reds out of your hair .. so have I bought the wrong thing????

ACWN
Re: Trying Henna for the first time.

Wow, you bought some SERIOUSLY old henna. '63? Depending on its packaging and how it was stored, it may or may not be good. Vinegar will make it smell horrible. Cinnamon may irritate your skin - may want to try a different spice for scent if thats what you're wanting it for. Spices do nothing for your color - they stain, not dye. IF they do anything, the color they come up with wont last past the first wash.

Real henna only comes in one color, red. However it can produce different shades or tones. I dont think it brings out natural reds so much as it adds red to what you have now. Plant dyes like henna add only a translucent color to the color you have now, meaning if your hair starts out dark its going to stay dark. Inside it may not look any different, but outside in the sun it may appear to be lighter as it reflects more red light.

What I recommend is that you test for dye release and strand test. Mix the henna and let it sit for a certain amount of time depending on the acidic liquid you use (I'm not sure what the time is for vinegar as its rarely used around here due to the fact that it makes henna smell horrible, try lemon juice), then test for dye release on you palm - smear it on your palm, let it sit a minute, then wipe off. You want a noticable orange stain, like this - if you do not get that color, even after a long period of time (with lemon juice, 24 hours), then the henna is no good). You want the end texture to be similar to stirred up yogurt.

If you have dye release, apply it to the hair, and tuck it in a ziplock bag. Seal it and tuck it in your pocket. Leave it there for at least 3 hours. After that rinse (shampoo if you can) and let it sit for at least a week. Letting it sit will show you the end color you will get as henna takes about a week to settle into its final color.

kcr

Wow--could that 1963 be the lot number or crop number maybe?

That was during the Kennedy Administration...What does the box look like?

quay_quae (not verified)

Same green box with an indian woman on the front of it. Maybe thats no really the date of the henna .. I will know tonight once i rinse it from my head..

quay_quae (not verified)

Thank you so much.

ziddy

I think the date you are seeing is "since 1963" meaning Jamila henna started being sold in 1963. If you really have an original box from then, then it might be worth a bit as a collectable!