Wrapping/Sealing Problems

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Melissa
Wrapping/Sealing Problems

My fiance and I did a design on my hand for the first time ever and I sealed it with lemon juice, then put a loose sock over it. Well, this morning I had a lot of smooshing and now I have henna smears where I don't want them!

I'm thinking of buying the gloves sold here. What can I do in the future to help prevent that? I also sweat when I'm sleeping. I usually seal my feet with medical tape, and the sweat while sleeping just ruins the design!

I really need to learn how to seal and wrap. Any tips would be super appreciated.

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Wrapping/Sealing Problems

The best seal I've found is "Frozen Stiff" hair spray from Sally Beauty Supply.

If you put some dextrose in the henna mix, the paste won't crack off as it dries.  If you dry the paste and then do a couple rounds of Frozen Stiff .......... you won't need to wrap! 

Melissa

Thanks so much Catherine! I appreciate it. I have a Sally Beauty supply down the street. :)

redfox

Another thing that I've found works really well is the spray bandage or paint on bandage like New Skin or something similar.  It's a little trickier to get off, but it is awesome for protection of henna applications, and you can really abuse it (I've even showered with it on without damaging the application) without too much trouble.  You have to really scrub at it with nail polish remover to get it off, but it will protect your stains great :)

Samvit

I like to seal with hairspray too, but I sometimes use lemon sugar.  Either way, I let the henna dry then spray it. If I plan to sleep in it, I use TP. The spray stays tacky, so when it is dry or almost dry I pat TP one square at a time onto the area and it sticks onto the spray like a bandage.  Then I either wrap it with more tp or not, and cover it with either a sock or saran wrap.  The sweatier it gets, the better, as long as you have something to wick away the moisture and not let it get smudgy.  

With CCJ's suggestion you should be great with no wrap, but don't lay your face on your hand while you sleep or you may end up with a print on your cheek!

Samvit

The tp stuck to the spray is also helpful when it comes time to remove the paste.  It all hardens like laster, and you just rip off the tp- most of the paste comes with it.

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

I find that the mefix tape is wonderful ! for all body parts .

MyshMash

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what is TP???

Melissa

Not silly at all! TP means toilet paper. On this forum anyway!

Also, thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm waiting for my current design to fade so I can go ahead and try a new one with a different wrapping technique.

kendraw00

Another suggestion that works really well, is once the henna is dry, use elmer's clear glue to seal it. lightly spread it over the design, just like we used ot smear it on our hands as kids. then when you are ready to take it off, the paste comes with the glue. I slept with mine on and didnt' get any henna in the bed.

jessinthedesert

When I wrap I always, always use cotton balls and reynolds press-n-seal. When the design is almost dry I apply the lemon juice/sugar, and then the cotton.  If you unwrap the cotton balls (I read somewhere though they have to be 100% cotton) and gently lay them over the design it keeps everything in place and soaks up the excess lemon juice and sweat. Then I wrap the press-n-seal around it. It sticks to itself and is WAY better than regular seran wrap because it doesn't come off and you don't need any tape or anything.  I found this to be easiest- it's clean and simple and has never messed up a design. Good luck!

hoamer

I've used glue to seal with great success, but I am going to try something new this evening - wrapping the design with vetrap, which is a stretchy bandaging tape that sticks to itself.  I figure if it can stay secure on a moving horse, it should stay in place (and hold the henna in place) at night.  Plus, it comes in many different colors (pretty!) and it's fairly inexpensive.  I'll let you kow how it goes.

Mani

Just a word of caution: vet wrap makes you sweaty.  I would use some toilet paper or cotton in between the wrap and the design, or you're liable to end up with a smooshy mess.