Mylar/Cones

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Melissa
Mylar/Cones

Hey everyone!

I had kind of a specific question about mylar. What thickness do you usually use? I went searching for some and everything I found was transparent and quite thin! I have some stuff I bought years ago from a henna girl somewhere(she was on the forum at one point...), but I need more. It's metallic and not transparent at all, and that's what I like.

I went to an art supply store and bought a huge sheet of mylar there, but it's like an off-white and it's 4 millimeters thick. It's stiffer than the mylar I got, but I figured I'd give it a try. The guy said it was waterproof, but it's kind of waxy feeling instead of more plastic.

Any help would be appreciated! I've been all over town. I went to Michael's, Joann's, Target, Walmart, a party store, and a local art supply shop. Tyia!

jamilahhennacre...
Re: Mylar/Cones

I just got some precut mylar from henna caravan   100 sheets for $20

desertholly

Check out the dollar store.  That's where I get mine, usually at Christmas when they have plenty of mylar wrap in rolls.  They sometimes have some in June for wedding wrapping paper.  If not mylar you can often find good cellophane wrap there by the roll. 

Henna Trendz

have u tried cellophane? i buy cellophane at walmart...a roll is for 3 dollars and i have made defintely more thn 200 cones from it.. it has held up pretty good for me..i have frozen and thawed my cones... the cellophane i buy is transparent with white dots...i find it the perfect thickness for rolling my cones... but what works for me may not work for another person... but for 3 dollars...maybe u cud give it a try!

Wardah

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

we have mylar which is the shiny metallic product that is so pretty -it is very soft when you make cones and easy on the hands and wrists. There is also the product called floraphane -which is wonderful for cones. A roll is enough to make 800 or more depending on size. 

The old fashioned cellophane is not really a  usable product since it degrades with the moisture and the oil content. 

Flavia

Henna Trendz

u're right flavia... i alwys buy the cellophane roll with white polka dots and never had a problem..(maybe itz floraphane?) once i found a roll of red cellophane in the same aisle in walmart for the same price and thought tht the cones wud look pretty in red :)..but geez! it was aweful material!! i had a hard time rolling the cones...it was just slipping away all over the place..quite hard ro manage..

and after few days in the fridge, when i squeezed paste out of it, the initial couple of lines were RED!...the darn thingg was leaking color! with this experience, i've decided i'll stick with my trusted polka dot rolls... no rneed to make my cones look pretty:)) with any colored cellophane..

Wardah

Nene

I have tried all sorts of cellophane... The last time I was at a dollar store I saw a very pretty roll of shiny shiny stuff....I bought it as it was only $1 and who doesnt like sparkly shiny stuff..lol

Using it is a whole other story, too thin to roll well, and when you get the hang of rolling it and all is good you will encounter that the EO's will eventually seep... the roll was acctualy stuck to my hand from oils and heat... too funny wish I had taken a photo. $3 at Walmart sounds good or just order some from this website

As far as how to hold it...dont put thought into that, it happens naturally, we all have different ways of holding pens ect. Best advice I caqn give you is play around with different size cones :0)

ladytetsu

I like the ginormous rolls of floro/cello (heck, I don't know what it is, but it rocks!) I can get at Hobby Lobby and other art/party shops for like $3, neat patterns, good thickness, a bajillion cones per roll. . . plus, if you get lucky you can snag some ugly stuff at half off. :)  I got wicked cool paisley-patterned cello from them, I'm almost out and may cry because it's just soooooooo perfect for henna.